Are you ready for our long, cold, dark, Canadian winter? Enhance your well-being this winter by maintaining a peaceful mood, improve energy, an increase your resistance to infection. Here are the top 5 strategies to consider.
- Sleep – The best sleeping plan is to go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 6am. Otherwise, make sure you go to bed at the same time nightly and wake up at the same time every morning. A good night’s sleep will help balance your hormonal system, affecting energy, mood, weight, and immune system. Regular deep sleep lowers cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Alternating warm and cool shower – while taking a soothing warm shower, turn the water temperature to cool/cold for 30 seconds, allowing the water to hit head, chest, neck, and back. Repeat the cool cycle 3 times, ending with cool. Here’s what’s happening: during the warm cycle your blood vessels are expanding, allowing blood flow to your entire body. The cool water causes the blood vessels to contract, pushing blood, oxygen, and nutrients, to your major organs, along with sending the waste through the lymphatic system/immune system to be rid of through the lymph nodes. You are increasing detoxification, elimination, and vitality, with water therapy!
- Whole-foods diet – 1 tbsp of sugar decreases the immune system by 50% within 2 hours of ingesting it. White flour, excess caffeine, processed foods, and sugar, contribute to body-acidity, dysbiosis, and weight gain, all acting against your natural immunity! Instead, focus on Fermented foods – miso, tempeh, kim chi, sauerkraut, as these are higher in nutrients, and nourish the good bacteria in your gut. Fruits and Vegetables – select from the rainbow of colours for complete antioxidant protection. Deep sea fish, chicken, and legumes, all contribute to a wholesome nutrient dense diet. Extra tip: Include ground flax/sunflower/pumpkin seeds for omega 3 anti-inflammatory power, and a serving of raw green veggies like baby spinach or kale for alkalinizing and micronutrient goodness.
- Movement and/or exercise– Exercise in any form will enhance elimination, keep your mind sharp and relax your body. Walking, yoga and jumping on a trampoline are great ways to move the body. Outdoor exercise keeps us in alignment with the rhythms of nature and the light from the sun regulates the hormonal system and helps us make vitamin D, contributing to a balanced immune system, stress management, and a peaceful mood.
- Hydration – the easiest, yet most overlooked cornerstone of basic health and well-being. Every system of your body will benefit. How much water do YOU need? Calculate it, by taking your body weight, divided by 2. Take that number, and divide it by 8. That answer is the number of 8 oz glasses of clean water, your body needs.
Covered all your bases? Schedule an appointment for your individualized winter wellness and immune boosting plan. Your whole family will benefit. Call 289 668-5433 to get started today!